Welcome to my blog Upstate Girl, (a.k.a Follow Your Bliss Part II), I am an independently published author. This blog is all about writing and the stuff that inspires me to write, the joys and obstacles that come along with the writer's life, and my fascination with the psychology of people and what makes them tick...the human condition, as is...and my love for words, playing with them and making sense of them...and I throw in a few photos from my acre of the world just to make things pretty...sometimes there are things I have no words for, only pictures will do.

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

The White Peony...


Something Georgia O'Keeffe saw once, and I could see it too.


It's raining today, naturally, now it's going to rain because my peonies have finally bloomed (they were tight little fists right up until Friday, being in the higher elevations, I'm a week or two behind everyone else...my spring is longer.)


Abstraction

Swirl
I have more photos than I can count, I was out there hovering around the blooms from early morning to twilight for the last three days...and of course, I couldn't avoid the ants...so I focused on them too...my camera looks forward to photographing these beauties every year...

One Ant
Two Ants



Morning dew on petals

My Daddy when he was a wee one-year-old being held by his father, Rochester, NY


My Daddy, the sailor, posing with his father, Spring 1945

Another Father's Day, I visited with my daddy at the nursing home, he's very frail, his COPD has become more advanced, and although his dementia rules much of his thoughts, he still knows who I am and is glad to see me and sad to see me leave. I'm still mining the family photos, it's a long process...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a
little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform
like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There
are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed
.. Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

my site: Water Features Colorado Springs CO

Laura J. Wellner (author pseudonym Laura J. W. Ryan) said...

Go with a free platform to start, why stress financially? Wordpress, Blogger, Tumblr...any of them.

Advice: Write. Read...read a lot, and read outside your comfort zone, and keep your mind wide open to receive knowledge. Be humble. Be brave. Write and write some more. Walk away from it...leave it for months...start something new. When you go back to it, be honest with yourself, edit...make it bleed red ink. It does get better, trust me on this.

Keep writing.

Practice, Patience, Persistence.

(Sorry, I don't follow links to websites from people I don't know very well...especially, ANON posts...from now on, I don't allow them any more.)