Welcome to my blog Upstate Girl, (a.k.a Follow Your Bliss Part II), I am an independently published author. This blog is all about writing and the stuff that inspires me to write, the joys and obstacles that come along with the writer's life, and my fascination with the psychology of people and what makes them tick...the human condition, as is...and my love for words, playing with them and making sense of them...and I throw in a few photos from my acre of the world just to make things pretty...sometimes there are things I have no words for, only pictures will do.

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

How come...

Morning mist at the Floody Place out back, 3/17/2012
 It's a contemplative week...I've been thinking about a lot, and at the moment, I can't think of anything...
Dew Gems on a Tendril, 3/17/2012
It's been a 'real' week, and I'm still trying to digest some of it...lots of things happen for a reason, and all that sort of shit that we can puzzle about for hours, days and years...and still ask "How come?"

My poor father thinks he's a U.S. spy in Germany along with an old friend of his (who has been dead many years) and when he saw us come into his new room at the nursing home, he was surprised that we got through the lines and checkpoints to get there. (My Fred assured him that we had all of our papers in order.) He was surprised that our son had not yet been drafted...Hitler is dead, but still the war was going on...just differently. I'd like to believe these imaginings are the result of his reading a treasure trove of novels over the years...and I'd rather he be living in a fantasy than mourning his loses...it's his way of dealing with it...or it's just the dementia taking him away from me piece by piece...eventually, there will be a day he won't know who I am. This time he still did.

To make a long story short...our son's car died...here's the photos from the week...

a boy and his old car, "Lillian", 3/13/2012

Happy trails, Lillian!
I love this photo of the car on the flatbed (a distant black blob) riding off into the sunset...

My parent's Mustang, the "new" car, Max is giving her a sniff over. I think her name is "Nell", tho' "Tilly" would be a good one too. 3/14/2012
Our son has been notified that he's fresh out of grandparents with cars they no longer need...


It's enough to make my head spin...

I don't know if I'll ever understand the 'how come' of any of this...it's been bittersweet. Visiting my father, picking up his car and bringing it home, walking around their backyard and enjoying the beautiful day...the flowers...

The little purple crocus growing in my parent's backyard 3/14/2012
The weather has become peculiar...too warm for this time of year to be considered normal...but what is normal after this strange winter? Weather in the 70's for St. Patrick's Day in Central New York...it's unheard of!


They're lovely...and my mother would've loved seeing them. 3/14/2012
I'm going out to my garden to toil in the dirt, sit on my porch and soak up some sunshine...write things out...write things down...or do nothing but watch the world go by with my dog dozing at my feet...

Little bugs flitting in the sunset, 3/17/2012





No comments: