Welcome to my blog Upstate Girl, (a.k.a Follow Your Bliss Part II), I am an independently published author. This blog is all about writing and the stuff that inspires me to write, the joys and obstacles that come along with the writer's life, and my fascination with the psychology of people and what makes them tick...the human condition, as is...and my love for words, playing with them and making sense of them...and I throw in a few photos from my acre of the world just to make things pretty...sometimes there are things I have no words for, only pictures will do.

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Practice, Patience, Persistence...

Foggy out there...but clearing off...I'm on vacation this week and it would be nice to see the sun...I keep hearing these predictions that this year will be the year without summer...well, the way I see it...if it ain't snowing, it's summer...if it rains all summer, it's just wet...it fills my well, waters my garden. NOAA, the Farmer's Almanac, sunspots, global warming, the jet stream, volcano spew, El Nino, La Nina...whatever...weather is a crapshoot...shit happens.

I'm in the midst of making final edits of my novel The Fractured Hues of White Light...I'm looking to self-publish this book too...let's just say, I've lost confidence in the publishing industry, maybe they'll get their shit together, maybe not...it's tough to trust the consistency of agencies and editors when they can be cut loose at any time and your book can lose it's one and only advocate...so, I'm my one and only advocate (well, not really, I have my Fred too!) So Field Stone Press has happened...of course, I'm discovering that as a self-published writer, I'm shut out of many things because I'm not taken seriously...yet...

My becoming a writer has happened through practice, patience, and persistence...I don't expect to make millions of dollars doing it, but don't say I don't aim high, I do every day I sit down in front of my laptop and make things happen...some days I'm stunned by the things that I've created in spite of obstacles and frustrations...and the voices that say "You can't..." Well, I have...Dusty Waters is just the beginning...

Today I just made one small professional step by becoming an associate member of PEN American...it's part of getting "out there"...PEN is about freedom of expression...as a self-published writer, I'm all about that...

2 comments:

Pat said...

Your craft sounds like the hardest to get recognized in than any other. I admire your guts and persistance.

Laura J. Wellner (author pseudonym Laura J. W. Ryan) said...

It isn't easy to promote any creative endeavor, especially when the bills need to be paid and like most people, I live pay check to pay check...while working a full-time job, I manage to make time to write, draw, paint, maintain a house, enjoy a happy marriage with my Fred, keep tabs on an adult son, check in on the aging parents, maintain friendships, make time to pet the kitties, and cuddle my doggy...do I have time to pee?? Some days I wonder is it worth it? Yes it is...oh yes, it is soooooo worth it...