Welcome to my blog Upstate Girl, (a.k.a Follow Your Bliss Part II), I am an independently published author. This blog is all about writing and the stuff that inspires me to write, the joys and obstacles that come along with the writer's life, and my fascination with the psychology of people and what makes them tick...the human condition, as is...and my love for words, playing with them and making sense of them...and I throw in a few photos from my acre of the world just to make things pretty...sometimes there are things I have no words for, only pictures will do.

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happy Thoughts!

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen, published in 1902, a classic self-help book, the language is a bit dated, but the message "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he" is always a good lesson as any...

Suddenly Mom comes to mind, she used to say...Don't look like that, your face might freeze that way...there's wisdom in that...

One of my friends at work used to call out during moments of stress..."Happy thoughts." There are many of us who still call it out as needed...it's an instant smile.

Anyway, back to the book...a friend of mine brought this little book to my attention over the summer, I liked what she quoted from it so I went on line and found a copy, since I love old books, and bought it sight unseen, I was very pleased with the result (I love the cover), this sweet little thing came cheap, I bought it to add to my old book collection.

He sort of looks like Sean Penn...just sort of, in an old fashioned sort of way...

The quote that my friend mentioned is on page
39:

The dreamers are the saviours of the world. As the visible world is sustained by the invisible, so men, through all their trails and sins and sordid vocations, are nourished by the beautiful visions of their solitary dreamers. Humanity cannot forget its dreamers; it cannot let their ideals fade and die; it lives in them, it knows them as the realities which it shall one day see and know. Composer, sculptor, painter, poet, prophet, sage, these are the makers of the after-world, the architects of heaven. The world is beautiful because they have lived; without them, labouring humanity would perish.

Then during my page turning, I found on page 40:

Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts...

Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so shall you become. Your Vision is the promise of what you shall one day be; your Ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil.
The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn; the bird waits in the egg; and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities.

Most of my stories are about my characters struggles with dreams and realities...and just being an artist and a writer is all about that...making it happen on paper...I try to make it happen everyday.


One day I made this little bit happen...it's just a bit of splashing on a small piece of scrap matboard that I snagged from the recycling...I swear, I love making the little 'uns more than the big'uns...this one is full of happy thoughts...I was happy at the time that I made it and it makes me happy every time I look at it!

2 comments:

jbkrost said...

I have a copy......
one of the best small books with a big message, out there
jb

Pat said...

I too love old books. I grew up on old "young girl" books. They were so much fun. Then I grew into old English novels. It does bend one's thinking. If we hold good in our hearts, it will leak out into this world. That is a good thing.
I do find you art work to be very happy. It is the sort of work I like to surround myself with, thank you for sharing.