Welcome to my blog Upstate Girl, (a.k.a Follow Your Bliss Part II), I am an independently published author. This blog is all about writing and the stuff that inspires me to write, the joys and obstacles that come along with the writer's life, and my fascination with the psychology of people and what makes them tick...the human condition, as is...and my love for words, playing with them and making sense of them...and I throw in a few photos from my acre of the world just to make things pretty...sometimes there are things I have no words for, only pictures will do.

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Longest Night


This is an old po-em...back when I thought maybe I could write poetry...there was something very satisfying about them at the time that I made them, probably because their short nature, long skinny columns of words attracted me, and they seemed simple enough...I made no effort to rhyme (I've caught myself editing it even after promising myself that I'd leave it 'as is' warts n' all)...Although I loved playing with them, I stuck with the novels...this is my celebration of the Winter Solstice...


Longest Night


Weary at the end of this shortest day
I long to rest -
I sit by the window to observe
the beginning of the longest night.
I light a candle and turn off the lamp -
the glass reflects the white lights in the fir tree
that glitter behind me,
a symbol of life and
the season of giving.
I watch the snow fall and
shimmer to the ground -
a soft white blanket,
blue shadows like twilight.
The street light illuminates the night -
the snow sparkles
the essence of something precious,
each flake fallen rare -
unique crystalline infinite forms,
so small and delicate -
the warmth of tomorrows sun
can destroy these precise
intricate wonders after this
longest night is done.
Shivering, I blow out my candle
turn off the lights,
I go to bed to sleep until
the morning comes
at the end of this longest night.

No comments: